Aussie gamblers looking to win life-changing jackpots need to look no further than progressive jackpot casino games. Typically, casino game jackpots can’t compare with the likes of the lottery. However, the exception to the rule is casino games with progressive jackpots. These games can have multi-million-dollar jackpots that will change an Australian player’s life forever. These jackpots aren’t easy to win, but landing one will make you a millionaire. But, what are progressive jackpot games? Should you play them? How do they work? And what are the best progressives to play online?
What is a Progressive Jackpot
If you’re completely new to gambling and casino games, you may be wondering what we mean by the term progressive jackpot. Most casino games have a fixed jackpot or payout. If you play Roulette, bets have various payouts. Bet on a single number and the payout is 36-1. That means if you bet AU$100, you’ll win AU$3600.
Most online pokies, or slot machines, will also have a set jackpot. This will vary from game to game though. The jackpot may be 500 coins, or it might be 50 000. Before spinning the reels on your favourite pokie, players will decide how much they want each coin to be worth. This will determine how big their wager for each spin is, but also determines how much they win. But, at the end of the day, the jackpot is always going to be a set number of coins.
Progressives are different though. Progressive jackpots do not have a fixed jackpot. Instead, every time a player places a wager, a small portion of this is transferred to the jackpot pool. This means it grows and keeps growing until someone wins it. When a win does happen, it resets back to a base jackpot and then starts growing again. This is how these casino games are able to have such large jackpots.
Different types of Progressive Jackpots
Not all progressive jackpots are the same. While they all share a defining characteristic, a growing jackpot, there are some differences that change how quickly and big that jackpot grows. Below are the three main categories within progressive jackpot games.
Stand Alone Progressive Jackpots
This is perhaps the least common variation out there. However, it was also how they all got started. A stand-alone game is exactly what the name suggests. This game’s jackpot is only increased by players gambling on that particular game. It is not connected to any others. These games will only be found in land-based casinos, but they’re very rare. In addition to this, because it is only one machine, the jackpot will grow slowly and is not likely to be worth all that much.
This is another type of progressive jackpot casino game that is exclusive to land-based casinos. With this type, a number of games will be linked together, but only within one casino. There could be as few as ten games linked, or as many as 100. Because more games are contributing to the jackpot, it will grow quicker and will grow larger. But, if you really want that life-changing win, the next type is the one for you.
Wide Area Network Progressive Jackpots
This is the type of progressive game that has the million-dollar jackpots. With wide Area progressives, thousands of games are linked together, all contributing to one jackpot. Games will be linked from different casinos, with both online and land-based games contributing to the jackpot. With so many gamblers all helping the jackpot grow, it grows quickly, and it can be with millions and millions of dollars. Winning is not easy though, with the odds similar to that of winning the lottery.
Progressive Jackpots aren’t just Pokies
While its true that most progressive jackpots can be found with online pokies, or pokie machines in land-based casinos, growing jackpots are not exclusive to slots. Players looking to score a life-changing win can also find poker, roulette, blackjack, and video poker with progressive jackpots. Keep in mind though; these tend to be less popular. This means that not only will they be harder to find, but there will be fewer players contributing to that jackpot.
The good news is that if an Aussie player does decide to try a table game with a progressive jackpot, there won’t be anything new to learn. These games will use the exact same rules as the normal versions of the game. However, they will just have special winning conditions to claim the full jackpot. These won’t be easy, so don’t expect to have an easier time with these, compared to progressive pokies.
In some progressive blackjack games, you’ll need to get three 7s to win the jackpot. Some Roulette versions might require you to land on the green 0, two spins in a row. While all this is possible, the odds of it happening are very slim.
Progressive Jackpot Tips and Ticks
So, your favourite progressive casino game currently has a massive jackpot. What can you do to stand a better chance of winning it? Well, in truth, there isn’t really anything a player can do. The chances of winning are very small, about the same as the chance of winning the lotto. However, we do have a few tips and tricks that might make the experience of playing more enjoyable.
- Always place the maximum bet. Most progressive jackpot games require the player to wager the maximum amount in order to be eligible for the jackpot. If you don’t wager the max and you land up hitting the jackpot, you’ll still receive a big payout, but it won’t be the full amount. You’ll be kicking yourself for the rest of your life!
- It is always important to understand how to play the game. While this is less important for pokies with progressives, players should still know what they need in order to take home the jackpot. In addition to this, it is important to know what the casino’s withdrawal rules are. Most casinos have a maximum weekly withdrawal limit. This is typically between AU$200 – AU$5000 a week. Imagine trying to withdraw AU$5 million like that? The good news is that most casinos exclude progressive wins from the weekly withdrawal limits, but it’s still a good idea to check.
- If you want the best possible chance of making some money, it is advisable to play games with the highest payout percentage. This is no guarantee you’ll win money though, but it will give you a better chance. If a game says it has a payout percentage of 97%, this means that for every AU$1 wagered on the game, AU$0.77 is paid back to players. This is worked out over thousands of wagers though; it doesn’t mean every player will only lose AU$0.03 for ever dollar they play.
- We all want to land that massive jackpot, so try to play progressive jackpots with a jackpot that is higher than usual. It’s a myth that as the jackpot gets higher, the odds of winning it improve, but if you do win it, it’s obviously better if it’s bigger.
- The final tip is very important. Budget your time and money! It’s very easy to keep trying to win the mullion dollar jackpot. But this can lead to players spending too much time and money on the game. Decide how long you’re going to play and stick to it, whether its 10 minutes or an hour. Set an alarm if you need to. Then, decide how much you’re going to wager. When your bankroll is depleted, walk away. Progressive jackpot games can be very expensive, especially if you’re placing the maximum bet. Don’t spend money you can’t afford to lose.
Progressive Jackpot History
When we look at the history of progressive jackpot games, we really have to look back at the history of the slot machine. As most progressives are pokies, this is where they can trace their history back to. There is some debate as to what the first slot machine was, but it is generally accepted to be Liberty bell. This was invented by an American called Charles Fey. While there were similar games before this, this was the one that most resembled what we know as slots and pokies today.
The pokie machine remained largely unchanged until the 1970s and 1980s, when video pokies started to be developed. These used electronic instead of mechanical components, meaning they could be more complex. But, it was the internet that really revolutionised gambling. People could now play their favourite casino games from home. Online pokies became very popular, and developers embraced the creative freedom they had.
The internet also allowed for progressive jackpot games to communicate with games in other casinos and other Internet casinos.