Roulette is one of the most popular casino games in the world. The game has two well known versions: the French Roulette or European Roulette with one zero and the American version of double zero. The edge on the American version favours the casino more than the European version. This is the only difference; the rest of the game play is the same in both games.
The game involves guessing on which of the 37 or 38 numbers a small ball will land on the ‘roulette wheel’. Bets are placed on a table which has illustrations of the numbers on the wheel and other betting options.
There are a couple of ways to bet when playing roulette. You can bet on each of the numbered slots that the ball can fall in. Bets can also be placed on
- 1st 12 numbers
- 2nd 12 numbers
- 3rd 12 numbers
- Even numbers
- Odd numbers
- Numbers 1-18
- Numbers 19-36
- Red coloured Numbers
- Black coloured Numbers
There are two types of bets that can be placed on a roulette table, inside bets and outside bets. The ranges of bets have different odds. Bets that pay better are inside bets on individual numbers but the chance of winning this bet is 37 to 1. To improve the odds you will often see players placing chips on several numbers on the table and other betting options on the table. This strategy works but due to the huge complexity of the method it becomes rather difficult to follow how you are betting. Usually this is done by vastly experienced players with big bankrolls.
For novices it is a better option to stick to the simpler outside bets. That is: to betting on groups of numbers. Although the odds are less for these kinds of bets and the table minimums are higher they are easier to follow.
The odds that apply on these different bets are:
- Straight up bets are bets on a single number, these pay 35 to 1
- Split bets are bets on two numbers paying odds of 17 to 1
- In American roulette there is an option to play the 0 and 00 row. This bet pays 17 to 1
- Street bets are bets on three numbers and pay 11 to 1, to play this bet place your chip on the end of a three number Street
- Corner bet is betting on four numbers and the associated odds are 8 to 1. This bet is played by placing your chips where the numbers intersect.
- Line bets are bets placed between the edges of two streets. That bet pays 5 to 1.
Outside bets are bets on specific sections of the number map. These bets have higher minimum bets which vary from casino to casino and between the three versions of roulette. Bets are placed by putting your chips on the area marked for that bet. These bets are
- Column betting which is betting on 12 numbers in a column on the table. The odds are 2 to 1
- Dozen betting is betting on the first dozen, the second dozen or the third dozen. This bet pays 2 to 1
- Even or Odd number bets which pay 1 to 1
- Colour betting is wagering that the ball will fall in either a black or a Red pocket. This bet pays 1 to 1
European roulette at some casinos offers the En Prison feature which can be played on even money bets. The feature offers security to the players in case the ball falls on zero. If it falls on zero you do not lose your bet it remains imprisoned for another spin. If you win the next bet you do not get paid but if you lose the casino takes your money.
The best way to get to be good at roulette is to play, since practice does make perfect. Many online casinos offer free online roulette games and even when you want to play for real money online casinos have lower table bets.