Online Craps is a very popular gambling game played with a pair of dice. It is most common in North America but has grown in popularity throughout the world, including Australia. Rolling 7 or 11 will put you on the path to big wins, while 2, 3 or 12 will result in defeat. Craps is a dice game wherein players have to wager on the outcome of a roll, or a series of rolls, of a pair of dice, which makes is great fun for Australian players of all skill levels. The game of Craps can trace its origins back to a game called ‘Hazard’, which was played by English soldiers during the Crusades. The game would be simplified over the years until it eventually started to spread around the world, gaining popularity everywhere it was played, including in Australia. It has since become an iconic casino game the world over.
The Best Online Craps Casinos in Australia
Craps: A History
The history of craps seems to be fairly well documented and accepted. Historians have managed to trace its origins back to the Crusades in the 12th Century. At the time British soldiers were known to play a game with Dice called Hazard, although it was quite a bit more complicated than the game we know today. It was extremely popular in its day and eventually made its way to France. It didn’t take long for the game to make its way to the colonies in America, where the game began to be simplified. The name Craps is actually derived from the French word for Frog, because of the way people looked when playing it in the streets, crouched around the game. Craps as we know it came out in 1907, after being created by John H. Winn, who updated the game’s layout and made some other rule changes. During the course of the 20th century, the game gained and lost popularity and it wasn’t until the 1990s when online casinos came around that it truly secured its spot as one of the most popular games around. Read more about the history of Craps here.
Online Craps : Types of wagers
- Line Bets:
- Pass Line Bet – this is the bet where a shooter can win.
- Don’t Pass Line Bet – this is a bet for the shooter to lose, is almost exactly the opposite of the Pass Line Bet.
- Pass Odds: this occurs when a 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, or 10 are thrown on the ‘come-out’ roll.
- Don’t Pass Odds: players can place chips on the don’t pass line.
- Come Bet: is an entirely new pass line bet.
- Don’t Come Bet: this is very similar to a don’t pass bet.
If you’re planning on playing Craps regularly, whether online or at a land-based casino, you’re probably going to want to get familiar with some of the most important terms. These are the terms you really need to know:
- Any 7 – Placing a single roll wager on the shooter rolling a 7
- Any Craps: Another single roll wager on the shooter rolling a 2, 3 or 12
- Big 6: Placing a bet that the shooter will roll a 6 before a 7
- big 8: Wagering that the shooter will throw an 8 before a 7
- Box Cars: Placing a single roll wager on the shooter rolling a 12
- Box Numbers: If you look at the Craps table, you’ll notice the numbers 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 are marked in boxes. These are the box numbers.
- Come Out Roll: The first roll of the dice of the game
- Don’t Come Bet: The player will win the wager if the shooter rolls a 2 or a 3, while a 7 or 11 will mean they lose.
- Field Bet: Betting that the shooter will roll a 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11 or 12.
- Free Odds: Placing a bet in addition to the pass line bet, one that has true odds and no house edge.
- Hardways: Betting that the shooter will roll identical dice, totalling 4, 6, 8 or 10.
- Horn Bet: Betting the shooter will roll a 2, 3, 11 or 12.
- Lay bet: Wagering that a 7 will be rolled before a 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 or 10.
- Line Bet: Placing a wager on the pass line, or don’t pass line bet
- Multi-roll bet: A bet that can be played over several rolls of the dice
- Natural: When a roll yields a 7 or an 11
- Pass Line Bet: Wagering that the shooter will roll a 7 or 11 on the come out roll
- Place Bet: Betting the shooter will roll a 7 before a 5, 6 8, 9 or 10
- Point Number: The number determined by the come out roll
- Proposition Bets: Single roll bets that can be placed at any time during the game, placing them in the centre of the table
- Shooter: The person throwing the dice
- Single-role bet: A bet that is determined on the outcome of the next roll.
Want more Craps terms? We’ve got you covered here.
Online Craps Strategies and Tips
Players are always looking for a strategy or some tips to help them win. In a game like Online Craps, which is purely based on luck, there is nothing you can really do it improve your odds. However, developing your own strategy does stand the chance of improving your experience when playing and giving you a better overall experience.
The fun in Online Craps comes from the complex betting structure, with some bets being decided after a single roll, while others can take several before a result is determined. As with most gambling games, the general rule of thumb is that the lower the payout it, the more likely that result is to happen. This is why most players try and mix their bets up and have some bets with good and bad odds.
As with most games, we highly recommend that before you start playing, you decide on your budget. Don’t spend more money than that and don’t chase your losses. Also decide on how much time you’re willing to spend, because it is very easy to lose track of time and land up playing for hours. This is likely to get you in trouble with your friends or family, we’d advise against that. Click here to read our full guide on How to Play online Craps, or read more Craps tips here.
Advantages of Playing Craps Online in Australia
The greatest factor is the fact that players do not need to drive for hours to get to a casino and play the game – play from your Aussie home, be it in Perth or Canberra. No noise or other distraction, it’s purely just a player playing anywhere they want.
One thing players will learn about Craps is that it is a game of hot streaks. This is especially true when the player is the shooter, as hot streaks seem to be easier to come by than other games online.
Edge against the house
The great advantage is the betting factor. There are numerous ways in which players can place their bets and no one can or try and find fault in how much time you take.
There are so many Craps variations that can be found, online that players will never have one dull moment. Whether they want to play a higher streak Craps game or just want to relax a little they can try it all.
Find the best odds
As most players will discover when playing Craps is that in the most preached things, is that players should be making odd bets with the prospective that the option is provided. If and when players are not familiar with odds bets then they can always just back pass the line bets along with them.
This will definitely not be found in land-based casinos and thus this should immediately answer any doubts about online Craps.
FAQs Surrounding Online Craps
There are a lot of questions within the casino world, even more surrounding the realm of online Craps. Read on below to have a few of your questions answered surrounding this popular casino game.